1.
Since I missed today’s class I did not participate in our class discussion. However I find the topic vaccination and public health quite interesting. I have read the material in the package and found them to be very educational. The article on how and why vaccines work is an especially good summary on what vaccines are and how they work.
2.
I would not support making vaccination programs compulsory. I understand the herd immunity argument. It is true that not getting vaccinated can potentially increase the risk of infection for other people. However this is true for a lot of other things in our society. As long as we live in a community any and all of our decisions and actions will have an effect on other people. For instance by not having an education a person can negatively affect the whole population. Or similarly by engaging in unprotected sex a person not only endangers himself and his partner but also increases the cost of health care as a whole. However this reason alone, in my opinion, is not strong enough to make a program compulsory.
I agree with you with vaccinations. No one should be forced to be put things in their body they do not want, but I do feel like educating the masses on vaccination of vital. Now if only we could figure out a way to educate without bias....
ReplyDelete