What evidence can I find for synchronicity?
I think the evidence for synchronicity is quiet plentiful as it occurs everywhere and at all times. And yet in spite of its common occurrence we still feel synchronicity is mysterious. I think the reason comes from our mistaken assumptions of inner vs outer spaces. We assume that our inner spaces, which include our thoughts emotions and intentions, are subjective and only governed by our free will. On the other hand with regard to the outer space, which is the physical world surrounding us, we assume it is only governed by the laws of cause and effect. Since we do not understand how free will and causation can be compatible with each other whenever we observe that there is a non random connection between the inner and outer spaces we become incredulous, amazed, or both. Synchronicity, I think, is a term we use to describe this non random connection between our inner and outer spaces.
However I believe free will and causation are really two aspects of the same reality, one practical and the other theoretical, and both exist in our inner as well as outer spaces. For instance, once we allow theoretical investigation into our own inner space we realize that our thoughts, emotions and intentions, just like the physical objects, also follow laws of causality. Similarly once we are open to the possibility that our thoughts, emotions and intentions do affect the outer space or the physical world around us we develop technologies that allow us to control the physical world with our thoughts and intentions alone. As we become less and less imprisoned by the the artificial divisions of inner vs outer and free will vs causation we will find more and more evidence for synchronicity until it becomes commonplace.
Based on what I know, how would I explain connectivity?
The connectivity of the synchronicity comes from the connectivity between inner and outer space as well as the connectivity between free will and causation. For a short elaboration please see above. For a longer elaboration please see my previous blog posts on the problems of realism.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete"For instance, once we allow theoretical investigation into our own inner space we realize that our thoughts, emotions and intentions, just like the physical objects, also follow laws of causality." Are you suggesting a new field of quantum psychology? ;) Its an interesting way to put the idea that the experiences of our younger selves affecting the emotions and reactions of our older selves, those subconscious connections that drive our actions regardless of our awareness. If our current selves are simply responding to the causality posed by our younger selves, do we really have free will? Are our inner workings really an expression of free will or are we essentially reactions to our how our past selves measured up?
ReplyDeleteHi Ashley
ReplyDeleteYour question about free will is very fundamental and important. I think the answer lies in Buddhist and Taoist's world view. I summarize this world view in my previous blog titled "the fish is happy and we know it". If you are interested please take a look and I will be happy to discuss it with you later : )